IT is officially Summer of 2013. I just finished my second year of college with only a year and a half left. It's hard to believe that it was a whole two years ago that I graduated high school...It just seems like yesterday. It is my pleasure to say that unlike a lot of people, I have managed to be unchanged in my actions on account of college and the people I meet in college. I've gone caving, gone skating, been to concerts and parties and participated in ways in which I am proud.
This summer, I want that to hold true. I want this summer to be a summer of growth and maturation. It's hit me that tomorrow is coming sooner every day. Graduate school is right around the bend. And with it, relocating, interning, owning a house or apartment for the first time, and hopefully, not being alone for any of it. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. That phrase, though cliche, can mean a lot of things, but for me, in this case, it only means one thing. And this summer, I want to grow up in a way that I can figure out how to make my dreams come true.
I want to try to have a job in construction, this summer. Not really at Unifirst, but, it's a place to get comfortable and get started in the first place. I also want to meet new friends this summer, as well as draw back into my old friends--my old family--my brother Jeremy. This summer, I want to get started on the FUSE grant in hopes that fairly soon, I can start my internship, possibly in a location other than Bowling Green or Owensboro. And finally, this summer, I want to meet my best friend--the girl of my dreams--finally, after six long years of waiting, even if only for a day.
This is going to be a great summer, hopefully spent near water. Water brings change, any architect or writer knows this. It's not change that I need, but growth. And like a tree firmly rooted, I need a good rain, some water, and Sky--sunshine. A tree grows towards the Sky because it needs the Sun. So it reaches out. And as it grows up, it grows strong. This summer, let me be a tree. Not a yew. Not an oak. Not an ash or a birch. I think I'll be a Japanese Maple, like the one I use to climb as a kid at my Mamaw's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment