Already, I woke up an hour ago. Unlike other mornings, this morning I woke up to the firing of a gun. The race has begun. By 4:30 I had all of my things packed, and by 5 I had everything packed, and had already eaten an early breakfast. And here I am at 5:03 narrating the second most important day of high school career up til now.
You might ask, "What's so special?"
Well...today marks the next-to-last day for 9 other teammates - 10 including me. Today the Apollo Boy's Cross Country departs for Lexington, Kentucky. The Horse Park in Lexington has been the site of previous state meets for at least the last two years. This is my second year running. Last year I'd ran 7th on the team, qualifying for running state. Unfortunately, this year I wasn't as lucky as last. Fortunately, this year I am only good enough to be second alternate. It sucks to be so close, but yet so far; but I don't care. No sir-not after the June 5 practices. Not after the summer practices without my main mentor. Not after the new crew of Freshman. I don't care...I don't care that three Freshman, over the course of the season, are better than me. After the 6 o'clock practices and the late afternoon runs...After being the ones who made the trails that are now Apollo's Panther Creek Park...After staying up til 4 in the morning, running for the support of our own team...After the sinus infection...and the antibacterial and steroids...after every person on the team having gone through at least one injury...After coming down with a case of runneria...After putting up with all of this...I don't care. In fact, for all of this, I would go through hell and back. Going into Cross Country, I never expected any of this. I never expected being a part of a legacy. A legacy of successes, and short comings, and sportsmanship. I never expected meeting my brothers that are the team I'm on. As far as I'm concerned, this team is made up of the greatest teammates this state has to offer.
First off, I'd like to thank Clay Kuegel. Aka, my brother-from-another-mother, my counterpart, my mentor. I've learned unless it's based on time, this kid will never let me down; or anyone for that matter. He's a Kuegel, and it's in his blood. Second, I'd like to thank John Gleason; Johann Gleason, the jerk, the one that is cut from the team. He's the backbone of this team. He holds us together and keeps us strong in our ethics, and in our performance. He's been through a hell; having had a stress fracture, and now back problems; but he always seems to come through when the team needs him most. Third, Landon Meserve. Aka, Redbull. At the beginning of the season, I didn't like him, not a bit. I don't know if I felt threatened or what, but I pushed him because of it. No one, and I mean no one, has made a better example of the results that come when one puts forth effort until they don't have the strength to go on. Several times, I've related him to a dog, for the fact that when he gets excited, or something unexpected happens, he gets this look in his eyes...they get big and lighten up, and he gets jittery and jumpy. The smallest of things cause this, like a puppy, you could say his name and his smile grows and he lights up. Besides that, he's dependable. You ask something of him, he does it and he does it well no matter what. Then there's Mason Lambert. Mason is simply Mason. Some find him awkward, but always in a good way. He's always positive, never ceasing to make me laugh. He's given this team an ankle injury,and even a summer practice passout.
Those were the ones who I was most attached to this year. Not to say that I didn't appreciate and learn every other member on the team:
Evan "EB" Bridges
Jeffrey "J-Rowe" Rowe
First off, I'd like to thank Clay Kuegel. Aka, my brother-from-another-mother, my counterpart, my mentor. I've learned unless it's based on time, this kid will never let me down; or anyone for that matter. He's a Kuegel, and it's in his blood. Second, I'd like to thank John Gleason; Johann Gleason, the jerk, the one that is cut from the team. He's the backbone of this team. He holds us together and keeps us strong in our ethics, and in our performance. He's been through a hell; having had a stress fracture, and now back problems; but he always seems to come through when the team needs him most. Third, Landon Meserve. Aka, Redbull. At the beginning of the season, I didn't like him, not a bit. I don't know if I felt threatened or what, but I pushed him because of it. No one, and I mean no one, has made a better example of the results that come when one puts forth effort until they don't have the strength to go on. Several times, I've related him to a dog, for the fact that when he gets excited, or something unexpected happens, he gets this look in his eyes...they get big and lighten up, and he gets jittery and jumpy. The smallest of things cause this, like a puppy, you could say his name and his smile grows and he lights up. Besides that, he's dependable. You ask something of him, he does it and he does it well no matter what. Then there's Mason Lambert. Mason is simply Mason. Some find him awkward, but always in a good way. He's always positive, never ceasing to make me laugh. He's given this team an ankle injury,and even a summer practice passout.
Those were the ones who I was most attached to this year. Not to say that I didn't appreciate and learn every other member on the team:
Evan "EB" Bridges
Jeffrey "J-Rowe" Rowe
Justin "Off Da Hook Monster Traction Fish Sto'" House
Alex O'Bryan
James "Sergeant Mad Dog Boomhauer" Easler
Zack "Watch out for that car!" Easler
Austin "Counter-Clay" Richards
James "Sergeant Mad Dog Boomhauer" Easler
Zack "Watch out for that car!" Easler
Austin "Counter-Clay" Richards
John "Sup Dawg" Schroader
Bradley Gholson "The Italian Stallion"
Shaun "That's What She Said" Goebel
Justin Estes
Luke "Lance No Pants, Tall Kid" Camp
"Dang it Brody" Thomas
I just want to say, you guys mean the world to me. I'm going to miss this entire team and this entire season. Better luck next year right?

Aahh! This is sweet!
ReplyDeleteNice writing!
ReplyDelete