Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ruff Ruff

So, lately, I've been experimenting quite a bit. "What with?" , you may ask. Well, I've been experimenting with my voice. This year marked my discovery and infatuation with the music of Underoath. They're a Christian "metalcore" band. And if there's any confusion as to what that means (And I don't blame you for not knowing) then just follow the link. But ever since I started liking the music I do, I've been amazed with the capabilities of the human voice. It can be so precise as to sing, and as powerful to perform at opera levels. What intrigues me most, is screaming. And by screaming I don't mean just yelling at the top of your lungs; I mean the ability to manipulate the vocal cords, and the diaphragm in a way that sounds almost harsh and raspy, while being able to distinguish a specific tone or note. Whether it be low and grumbly, or high and bone-chilling. Some people consider it to sound like (and I say this bluntly) crap. "All they're doing is just shouting! They sound like a dying cow!" they say. Well, it's not that simple, by any means. Screaming for some people brings out emotion in their music. It's singing, just with an intense passion for the the music. It can be relieving emotionally and physically (if done right).

Besides screaming, I've also been experimenting with my singing. It's not proving too successful, but that's why I'm practicing. I don't plan on becoming famous, but I've come to realize that there's nothing like the chill that rushes through you as a result of music. It's a straight shot of energy that could fuel me for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment