In a previous relationship, I encountered unfamiliar territory. For the past two years, I haven't really had to consider a separate opinion or thought, or "thread" in this web of events of my life. But among the first events that I would like to discuss is one that involved my parents, my sister, my ex: Jodie, and moi. It occurred upon a cold Saturday night. I brought home my girlfriend to watch a movie. So upon arrival, I introduced her to my family while I went to take a quick shower after work. I got out, popped some popcorn, and we headed down to the basement. Popped in the DVD and began to watch. We eventually ran out of popcorn, where we decided to go get more. We did, and went back down to the basement where she tells me, "I think your parents went through my purse." At this point I'm like, "Oh God...please don't put me this this position." So I'm both, wanting to trust her, while I'm trusting my parents by default. I guess in some fantasy, I wanted to believe both. Anywho, she puts me in this position where I had to side with one or the other. And I hate that for one second, I forgot who I was enough to think my family might have actually done it. It wasn't wrong that I found myself again to realize...they're my family. They would never do that.
Aside from that, there was another time where she had told me that the one that introduced us; he was my friend, and my brother had done stuff that was disappointing. But once again, I found myself believing her for a mere second. Once again, it was a rotten feeling of betrayal. Now I know.
Something I learned from this, wasn't about relationships, but about family. I can't turn my back on family. They're the ones that I know by heart. Sadly enough, they don't me that well. And yet, I still find myself wanting to be left in the dark. I find myself wanting to surprise them everyday.

No comments:
Post a Comment