Anyways, Saturday, I got an invitation to attend this student group that is like, a teen based organization that is the ODC Drug Free program. I went to a Youth Leadership Program last year, which was basically a precursor to this year just recruiting people. I thought, "Hey, this will get me out of a track practice, and it will look good on college applications. Might as well go." So I went yesterday at 4. I had a little trouble finding my way to the location. It was hosted at the police department...and surprisingly enough, I almost had to call the police to find my way there. So I arrive, walk in, and immediately I'm offered pizza and a Dr. Pepper. I'm thinking, "Alright...you've satisfied my stomach...What else?" I find my seat and scope the room in search of someone familiar. This guy from Daviess County was the only one that I remembered that remembered me, besides that, there was only one familiar face. I'd seen him at other volunteering events. The director of the program paced to the front of the room, began talking the talk, but just couldn't walk the walk. It was one of those awkward situations where middle-aged elders that don't know you try to be hip and cool by saying things like, "Hip" and "Cool", and using overly obvious sarcasm like, "You all can't be ready for Spring Break, can you?!" But she was trying so we all threw her a bone and subtly raised a hand. She told us that basically, we were the new committee members and that we would be organizing another event, this year, like the committee did for us last year. She said that we would have to come up with a name. So, she passed around papers taking up contact information, and on there, it had options for names to pick, or if there were new ideas, we could suggest some. The Daviess County kid immediately wrote down the Green Swamp Donkeys. It immediately stuck. It was weird, but catchy. It didn't stand for anything, but it stuck and you couldn't forget it. So I went with him. I suggested the name as well. I was slowly beginning to lose interest in jumbled mess of words exiting her mouth, and was more focused on the Swampy Donkey I was drawing...not to mention, later, I realized that it was on chartreuse colored paper, which was basically green. Thus, I was actually drawing a Green Swamp Donkey.
And that's the story of the Green Swamp Donkey; which, ironically, not many people would see unless they were on some kind of drug...which may persuade the wrong idea : S Oh well.

No comments:
Post a Comment