Which by the way, this may seem out of place to most teachers; but I really don't think they realize that some students have busy lives. There's not always time to get an adequate night's sleep and finish all the homework for each of his/her student's classes. What really gets me though, is when I (for example) don't have my homework for a class, and the teacher rants on about how important their class is or the homework assignment is. Say I didn't have a workbook page because I spent my time getting a greatly needed night's rest, or I spent my time working frantically to finish a large project for another class. I realize this is redundant, but when I get to class with that unfinished workbook page and the teacher goes on and on about how we need to show up prepared, and they continually scold for 10 minutes...there's a problem. Just throwin that out there; not pointing any fingers
Back to what I was saying...I was sitting here in my room on my comfy little navy and white striped bed, with the fan on (making me fairly cold), working on my English project-the cd part to be specific. I was going through my songs, when I got distracted and started to organize my music folders, where I ran across the song Where'd Ya Go by Fort Minor. It's got me thinking...thinking about my life, my relationships, other's lives and relationships...and for that matter the relationships of today. It's kinda depressing to be honest.
The song starts with a woman singing, "Where'd ya go? I miss you so. Seems like it's been forever, since you've been gone." That is really confusing, because the next part of the song is the actually artist confessing his doubts and misunderstandings about why, his wife I'm assuming, is never around. "I feel like an idiot, workin my day around a call. But when I pick up I don't have much to say." He stays by the phone as much as he can, waiting for hear her voice. In the chorus he says:
I want you to know that it's a little ****ed up
That I'm stuck here waitin', at times debatin'
Tellin you that I've had it with you and your career
Me and the rest of family here singin' 'Where'd ya go?'
(more stuff)
Please come back home
In the next verse, he contrasts now and how it used to be. He tells how he does anything to keep her out of his mind. Then he starts to go on the offensive, saying he's doing fine and that "You can call me if you find that you have somethin' to say". This is followed by the same chorus as the first. But this time, he doesn't say "Please come back home", but instead, "I want you to know that it's a little ****ed up, that I'm stuck here waitin', no longer debatin'. He speaks of regret and how he's tired of making excuses for why she's not around. He makes his final decision when he says, "I guess I've had it with you and your career, when you come back I won't be here, and you can sing it." Following, the woman sings, "Where'd you go?" Ironically, the last line of the song (sung by the woman) is "Please comeback home."
My relationship that is brought out the most from this song, is with a girl named Skylar. She's a girl that I met online in the 8th grade, of course by accident. The details as to how we met are not important, but are significant. That was the first time I had ever opened up to anyone outside of Owensboro. In a way, it was my spark, my ignition,... my genesis as to who I am now; or at least part of who I am now.
I don't just have one story that led to who I am now, but a few big stories compiled into a, for lack of better words, compilation. There's the chapter of me before my granddad died; the chapter after his death; the chapter of middle school; then the chapter after Jr. Beta Club of 8th grade; then the current chapter still in progress, the aftermath of the cutting of hair.
Back to Skylar though. We met by accident and over time we spoke progressively more. Turned out we had a lot in common and a friendly affection. She was nice, had great taste in personal interests. There for a while, we talked literally everyday. We eventually told our parents, and they gave us the okay to mail each other, even call each other on the phone (also to make sure the other wasn't some creepy old person). So we began writing pointless little notes, which are to this day tucked away in a safe place. I still remember talking about how long we would keep in touch; 1 year? 2 years? til the end of high school? For a long time, she was all I had on my mind...her mind, her voice...she all I wanted on my mind. There was one thing missing, that I could've gone with or without, and that was her image. Due to the fact that her family was pretty much a technological lack-thereof, for a year, I didn't know what she looked like. She is a great writer, so she had no problem getting the image across. Once I had finally seen her, nothing changed. She's...gorgeous. She has a dark, mysterious essence that cradles her jade green eyes. Her hair is never the same color as her natural brown, and isn't the same length as is was when we met. But...like I said, that all doesn't matter. Lately she's been all skinny jeans, worn out Chuck Taylors, and t-shirts. It's not definition girly, but it's her. And once again with a spin...that's all that matters.

Wow...I didn't realize that was so long.
ReplyDeleteYay for a long-winded post that's not mine! =D
ReplyDeleteAnd late night posting!
And song analysis!
...but no links =( oh well, I guess all posts can't be just like mine... j to the k =P
Cool cool, my brother. I'd kinda wondered who Skylar was. Now I know! =O